Friday, October 22, 2010

paper or plastic?

We've all seen the apps, the sites, the Kindles and what-have-yous that all purport the continuing accessibility of e-literature.  Or more to the point, e-books.  Publishing is becoming easier and easier for all levels of writers because of  this.  Should I be  thankful?  Of course, it means that there's a better chance for Mousepaw Chronicles and all my works to be published.  But there's also that  little part of me that longs for the competition, the thrill of successfully winning the attention of  the editors of a prestigious publishing house.  Actually holding my book in my hands in it's final form. 

There is no doubt in my mind that e-books are the here and now.  They won't go away anytime soon, nor would I want them too.  Yet my past speaks of long nights in bed curled up with a good book.  My husband could tell you the number of times he's found me sound asleep with a favorite volume beside me, my thumb still marking the page where I'd dropped off.  Now I enjoy reading online all types of literature, whether it's kids stories or flash, poetry or even participating in a critique on a lengthy novel, but there are some things that you just can't take an electronic device, like say...oh... a bathtub?  That would be a re-volt-ing experience methinks.  So the future?  Who's to say.  I think there is still room for the dead-tree version as well as electronic.

No comments: